This week I defrosted chicken thighs for dinner with no plan on how I would be preparing them. It was a work night, so slow cooking was not an option. After a quick look at what we had in the pantry, here is what I decided to do. It’s a simple preparation but tastes like you spent all day in the kitchen. And it was great leftover!
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 cups sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 cup 1% milk
- 6 oz. whole wheat penne
1. Spread the flour, salt and pepper in a breading tray. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture.
2. Heat a deep skillet and add the oil and butter. Brown the chicken 5 minutes each side and remove to a plate.
3. Add the mushrooms to the skillet and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 30 seconds.
4. Return the chicken to the skillet and sprinkle with thyme. Add the white wine, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
5. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
6. Transfer the chicken to a clean plate and keep warm. Reduce the heat to low and add the milk to the skillet, stirring well to incorporate.
7. Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet, tossing well with the mushroom sauce. Add the chicken back to the skillet and serve.
For a meal that started out with no plan, this one was a winner! Hubby said I can definitely make this again!
The Extruded Noodle © 2012-2014